Expert Witness and Arbitration Advice
Neale Consulting Engineers act as Expert Witnesses, both in the UK and overseas. We have given evidence in court cases, arbitrations, and mediations. Our considerable experience in the field of failure analysis is invaluable for this work.
Our specialist expertise is in tribology, but our investigations and our reporting frequently include other engineering aspects, such as metallurgy, vibration, metal fatigue, machine design, maintenance etc., all areas in which we as mechanical engineers have familiarity and knowledge. In addition to machine failure disputes, we have been asked to give evidence in Patent disputes involving machinery, and also personal injury and accident cases.
In most instances we are appointed by one side in a dispute, but nevertheless our advice and opinion is based on the engineering facts, and is not necessarily in alignment with the client’s desired outcome. In reports and when giving evidence in person, the law is entirely clear that the duty of the Expert Witness is to assist the Court, and to provide an impartial and unbiased opinion.
Neale Consulting Engineers have on occasions also been appointed in the role of Single Joint Expert (SJE), when the Expert is appointed and briefed by both sides in the dispute. In our experience, the majority of our assignments do not proceed to a hearing, but are settled, often after the exchange of Expert reports.
Examples of Our Work
A few examples of Expert Witness assignments are listed below, illustrating the diversity of investigations that we have carried out. If a matter involves machinery, large or small, we may be able to help.
- Building hoist fatal accident
- Ship main engine crankcase explosion
- Fairground machinery accident
- Disputed performance of a scrap metal processing plant
- Helicopter crash investigation
- Patent dispute on a cosmetic hair plucking device
- Destruction by fire of an industrial shredder machine.
- Metal particle found in packaged food product.
- Disputed repair costs on a large industrial gearbox.
- Reliability and safety of refuse lorries.
- Failures of conveyor drive gearboxes.